About This Course
5 Day Yachtmaster Offshore Preparation + exam
During the Yachtmaster Offshore preparation, the instructor will take you through the Yachtmaster exam syllabus. This includes advanced skippering techniques, close quarters handling under power and sail, navigation and pilotage by day and night, man overboard recovery and overall yacht management skills. The 5 day prep will be followed by an MCA examination. At this advanced level we do not expect to teach these skills but build on existing experience. The course will take place in the Solent and surrounding waters. It is unlikely that a long passage will be undertaken during the course as this is a course where emphasis is on honing skills gained through the recommended mileage and experience. The RYA recommend that you take the Yachtmaster Coastal as preparation for the Yachtmaster Offshore. You may also find it useful to join one of our Milebuilding Weekends or longer Milebuilding Trips in order to gain experience, mileage and undertake skippered passages.
Pre Requisites for Yachtmaster Offshore:
- 50 days on board
- 5 passages over 60 miles measured along the rhumb line from the port of departure to the destination.
- At least 2 passages acting as skipper which have involved overnight passages.
- 5 days experience as skipper.
- 2500 miles (50% tidal)
- All qualifying seatime must be within 10 years prior to the exam.
- Yachtmaster Theory Certificate or navigation to the standard of the RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased course
- You will need to hold a RYA VHF Licence and in date First Aid certificate – please check the RYA website for acceptable First Aid certificates
What is included:
- 5 full days training + exam period
- Maximum 4 students on board
- Services of senior RYA Instructor
- Accommodation on board your yacht
- Breakfasts, lunches and one evening meal during training. All meals during exam.
- Berthing Fees
- Use of foul weather gear
- Use of a life jacket and all safety equipment
- Modern marina facilities at base within easy walking distance of public transport
What is not Included:
- Exam Fee – £215
- Evening meals eaten ashore
- Secure parking at Gosport Marina (capped at £10.00 for duration of course)
What to expect:
- Up to 4 students on board
- You may share a cabin or saloon although we try to match boat layout to mix of students.
- There is a sole occupancy option for anyone who would prefer the privacy of their own cabin
- The best plans are drawn in the sand at low tide – be prepared for your instructor to make changes based on wind, tide and anything else that can effect the course.
You must take the Yachtmaster Preparation as a 5 day course.
Our team of RYA experienced RYA instructors will ensure you learn in a safe environment. Their aim is also to ensure your time on the water is as enjoyable as possible.
If you are interested to see life on board during a RYA course check out the film clip at the bottom of the page!
After passing the Yachtmaster Offshore exam you should be able to skipper a yacht on offshore passages by day and night up to 150 miles from a safe harbour.
You may wish to further your training and maybe become a professional yachtsman. The next steps are to gain more experience through skippering or crewing. You may then consider taking the RYA Cruising Instructor course.
You will need to study Yachtmaster Theory or have sufficient knowledge to pass a Yachtmaster Theory exam before taking the Yachtmaster Preparation.
Emma’s preparation for the exam was excellent and she drilled us on many areas which was excellent preparation for a tough exam
Graeme – Yachtmaster Offshore
Fantastic course, just wish there was another level to reach!
Andy – Yachtmaster Offshore
|Duration||5 days training + exam period |
8-12 hours for 1 candidate, 10-18 hours for 2 candidates. No more than two candidates can be examined in 24 hours and no more than four candidates can be examined in one 2 day session.
|Maximum students : instructor||4:1|
|Location||Solent||Minimum age||Coastal 17, Offshore 18|
|What’s included||Accommodation on board one of our Bavaria yachts. Breakfast, lunch, two evening meals during course + all exam meals. Drinks on board, berthing fees, free hire of wet weather gear (adult sizes only).||Extras||Evening meals eaten ashore during the course and on joining night if required. Log books if required £6.99. Exam fee Yachtmaster Coastal £181.00, Yachtmaster Offshore £210.00 |
Parking at Gosport Marina - £10 maximum fee for course duration
|When||Sat 0900 hrs to Wednesday afternoon 1600hrs + exam, Monday 0900 hrs to Friday afternoon 1600hrs + duration of exam. You can join the boat 1900 hrs the evening before your course begins.|
All year round
|Don’t forget||Anything you cannot travel without as we cannot cater for everyone’s special favourites! First Aid certificate and GMDSS radio licence, passport sized photograph|
|Let us know about||Any special dietary requirements and needs.|
Please note, we will do our best to cater for vegetarian diets or food allergies but not general food fads! Please call the office if in doubt.
|Cost||£690.00 Exam fee £18.51.00 - £215.00 payable to the examiner|
RYA Coastal Skipper Syllabus
The aim of this course is to teach the skills and techniques required to skipper a cruising yacht safely on coastal passages by day and night.
- 1. Passage planning
- Can plan a coastal passage including a consideration of the capability of the yacht, navigation, victualling, weather, ports of refuge, tidal heights, and tidal streams, publications required and strategy
- Know Customs procedures
- 2. Preparation for sea
- Is aware of safety equipment required for offshore passages
- Can prepare a yacht for sea including stowage, safety briefing, watch keeping, delegating responsibilities and equipment and engine checks
- 3. Pilotage
- Can prepare a pilotage plan, with consideration of surroundings, transits, clearing bearings, buoyage, port or harbour regulations and tidal considerationsb. Can pilot a yacht by day and night
- 4. Passage making and ability as skipper
- Can take charge of a yacht and direct the crew
- Can organise the navigation, deckwork, and domestic duties of a yacht on passage
- Is aware of the significance of meteorological trends
- Is aware of crew welfare on passage
- Can use electronic navigational equipment for planning and undertaking a passage, including the use of waypoints and routes
- 5. Yacht handling under power
- Can control the yacht effectively in a confined space under power
- All berthing and unberthing situations in various conditions of wind and tide
- 6. Yacht handling under sail
- Can use the sails to control the yacht in a confined space
- Anchoring and mooring in various conditions of wind and tide
- Can sail efficiently on all points of sailing
- 7. Adverse weather conditions
- Preparation for heavy weather and yacht handling in strong winds
- Navigation and general conduct in restricted visibility
- 8. Emergency situations
- Recovery of man overboard under power and sail
- Understands action to be taken when abandoning to the liferaft and during helicopter and lifeboat rescues
- A very enjoyable course. Alex was very helpful over the phone when booking, and Martin was a very friendly, very knowledgeable instructor who made the whole thing a lot of fun. Being able to hire wet weather gear for no extra cost is also a big bonus which some other schools do not offer. Overall very pleased and would recommend highly 🙂Laurel – Coastal Skipper, March 2015Such a good week – helped very much to boost my confidence. Skipper exceptionally diligent in his teaching, taking time, giving good feedback and an all round great communicator.Betty – Coastal Skipper, June 2012A great pleasure to spend 5 days aboard. Learnt a great deal on handling under sail and about sailing of course!Clive – Coastal Skipper, October 2011
The Small Print
We will provide breakfasts, lunches and evening meals for night sail and exam with some cakes and biscuits for coffee / tea breaks. We are unable to provide an endless supply of food / fruit / snacks including crisps and chocolate. Should you like to snack throughout the day or have particular food favourites we respectfully request that you purchase these yourself.