About This Course
Get out on the water with a Solent Weekend!
Meet people and get out on the water with a Solent Weekend. Sailing is not all about RYA training courses, sometimes it is good to go sailing just for fun! A Solent Weekend is a popular way to brush up on your skills, build experience and gain sea miles. It provides an ideal opportunity to get out on the water with like minded people. Even if you have never been on a yacht before you can come along!
Under the watchful eye of an experienced RYA Instructor, you will get a chance to steer, handle sails and be part of the crew, all in the sheltered waters of The Solent. The Solent Weekend starts at our Gosport Marina base and you will spend the weekend sailing around the Solent, visiting ports and harbours such as Cowes, Yarmouth and Hamble. You will sleep on board the yacht in one of the Solent marinas where you will find all the facilities you need, as well as excellent pubs and restaurants for your evening meal on Saturday night.
Our experienced RYA instructors are used to having beginners on board and whilst teaching you sailing skills and safety on board a sailing yacht, they place a big emphasis on having fun and enjoying all aspects of sailing including going ashore!
Pre Requisites for Solent Weekend:
- No minimum age although we don’t take unaccompanied under 18s
- No previous experience necessary
- This course is suitable for absolute beginners and experienced sailors alike
What is included:
- Services of experienced RYA Instructor
- Accommodation on board your yacht
- Breakfast and lunch with evening meal if night sailing
- Berthing Fees
- Use of foul weather gear
- Use of a life jacket and all safety equipment
- Modern marina facilities at base within easy walking distance of public transport
What is not Included:
- One evening meal (eaten ashore)
- Secure parking at Gosport Marina (capped at £10.00 for duration of course)
What to expect:
- Up to 5 students on board
- There may be a mix of students including Day Skipper, Competent Crew, Start Yachting and people sailing as a refresher.
- You may share a cabin or saloon although we try to match boat layout to mix of students.
- There is a sole occupancy option for anyone who would prefer the privacy of their own cabin
- The best plans are drawn in the sand at low tide – be prepared for your instructor to make changes based on wind, tide and anything else that can effect the course.
Our team of RYA experienced RYA instructors will ensure you enjoy your Solent Weekend in a safe environment. Their aim is also to ensure your time on the water is as enjoyable as possible.
If you are interested to see life on board during a RYA course check out the film clip at the bottom of the page!
|Duration||2 days||Yacht||8-10 berth yacht|
|Location||Solent / South Coast||Minimum age||All ages although under 18s must be accompanied by an adult|
|What’s included||Accommodation on board one of our Bavaria yachts Breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks on board. Berthing fees. Free hire of wet weather gear (adult sizes only).||Extras||Evening meal ashore on Friday if required and Saturday night. Log books if required £6.49|
|When||Friday evening 1900hrs to Sunday afternoon 1600hrs All year round||Don’t forget||Anything you cannot travel without as we cannot cater for everyone’s special favourites!|
|Let us know about||Any special dietary requirements and needs.|
Please note, we will do our best to cater for vegetarian diets or food allergies but not general food fads! Please call the office if in doubt.
|Cost||£210.00 - £360.00|
There is no syllabus for a Solent weekend. You may be joining a boat with RYA students on board who will be following the Day Skipper, Competent Crew or Start Yachting syllabus. This will enable you to benefit from this training whilst still enjoying your time out on the water.
FEEDBACK – Solent Weekend Reviews
Mark was incredible. I have learned so much this weekend. I am booked in again in March and would love mark to be the instructor again. So calm and reassuring.
Christine – Solent Weekend, November 2017
I cannot speak highly enough of our skipper for the weekend, James Hooper. Having spent many weeks this year under instruction. James was truly amazing, calm at all times, willing to share all knowledge and at the same time built your confidence levels up. It was a great weekend, with a great skipper.
Paul – Solent Weekend, August 2017
John was really patient and a natural teacher, really helpful, thank you
Tim – Solent Weekend, August 2016
Looking forward to next time already!
Margaret – Solent Weekend, May 2016
The Small Print
* Evening meals taken ashore on weekend courses except in the case of a night sail.
** We will provide breakfast and lunch with some cakes and biscuits for coffee / tea breaks. We are unable to provide an endless supply of food / fruit / snacks including crisps and chocolate. Should you like to snack throughout the day or have particular food favourites we respectfully request that you purchase these yourself.