About This Course
On-line VHF / SRC Radio Course
A VHF Radio licence authorises the holder to operate a short range marine VHF radio with Digital Selective Calling (DSC) on any sailing or motor vessel. This licence is a legal requirement for marine VHF users throughout the world. It is essential for skippers on their own boat or when chartering in the UK or overseas.
Since January 2014 you have been able to take the new RYA VHF course online through RYA Interactive. The RYA VHF Radio On-line course (Short Range Certificate (SRC) course) can be completed wherever it suits you; at work, at home or while you are travelling. When you register with us for the online course, you will receive a login and a password to the RYA Interactive site. The course takes between 4 – 8 hours to complete online, when you have completed the online course, you will need to take an assessment before you can be issued with a licence. This cannot be completed online and must be carried out at an RYA Centre.
We can also offer the E – version of the VHF handbook!
UK Students can choose between the shiny hard copy or e-book – please tell us on your booking form.. Overseas students can choose to receive the e-book due to postage and customs delays of up to 6 weeks.
Try before you buy
The Online VHF course works well on a PC or laptop. Some people might find it difficult to read and operate on some smaller devices so it is worth trying it first with a free taster session.
Pre Requisites for the VHF Radio Course:
In order to acquire an SRC (VHF) licence, you must meet the following requirements:
Candidate must hold one of the following before attending an exam:
- RYA SRC Certificate of Classroom Course Completion OR
- RYA SRC Certificate On-line Course Completion
- Have access to a PC, Mac or IPAD
- Be a minimum age of 16 years of age
- Under 16s may take the course but cannot be issued with a licence
What to expect:
- On-line course provided by RYA Interactive
- The online SRC (VHF) radio course requires approximately 4 – 8 hours of online study.
- Regular assessment sessions
- Option to select own assessment date (extra charge)
Included in the course fee:
When booking the online SRC course with Commodore Yachting, you will receive:
Personal login and access to the RYA Interactive site
RYA VHF Handbook (G31) You can choose whether to select the traditional hard copy or E- version.
For overseas students we offer the E – version. If you would like the book instead please contact us and we will look into postage costs.
Unlimited email, telephone and Skype support from our experienced instructors
- Assessment in our Gosport Marina classroom – the assessment takes approximately 1 hour.
- You will also be given time to familiarise yourself with the radio equipment prior to the assessment.
- Tea and coffee will be provided during the assessment
What to bring:
- Certificate of course completion
- Passport sized photograph
- Licence fee of £60 payable to the RYA
Try the VHF Online Course with this free trial. Test your device compatibility.
We also offer this course as a classroom course.
If you can’t find an assessment date to suit you it is possible to choose your own date for a small extra fee.
To find out more about the RYA SRC Course the RYA have produced a short You Tube clip.
|Duration||4-8 hours study time||Course fee||£120.00 (you will also need to pay an exam fee and a licence fee - see below)|
|Location for Exam||Gosport Marina||Minimum age||All ages but you must be 16 or over to receive a licence.|
|What’s included||Course materials|
Access to the RYA Interactive on-line
UK Postage (small surcharge for overseas postage) course
|Extras||Licence Fee £60.00 |
Exam fee - see below
Postage surcharge for sending overseas course packs
|Exam Option 1||General exam session -£30.00||Exam Option 2||Take your exam by appointment at a time to suit your diary - £60.00, discounts for groups.|
To be awarded the SRC, students must be able to demonstrate competence in the following areas:
A. Distress situations
1. Define a distress situation.
2. Initiate a DSC Distress Alert, with position and time input manually or automatically.
3. Send a Mayday call and message by voice.
4. Respond appropriately to a DSC Distress Alert and to a Mayday call and message,including relay of a distress message.
5. Know how to deploy an EPIRB and a SART.
6. Know the procedure for cancellation of a distress message sent in error.
B. Urgency Situations
1. Define an urgency situation.
2. Initiate a DSC urgency alert.
3. Send an urgency message by voice.
4. Respond appropriately to an urgency message.
C. Safety Situations
1. Identify a situation in which a safety message is appropriate.
2. Input a DSC safety alert.
3. Send a safety message by voice.
4. Receive Maritime Safety Information by NAVTEX.
D. Routine Communication
1. Initiate a routine call using DSC.
2. Establish communication and exchange messages with other stations by voice on appropriate channels.
3. Test the radiotelephone by means of an appropriate test call.
4. Enter a DSC group and Individual MMSI.
5. Maintain an appropriate listening watch on DSC and voice channels.
6. Use the International Phonetic Alphabet.
You will need to pay £60.00 to the RYA for your radio licence.
Mac 2008 models or above. Intel processor OS X 10.5 or above.
Some Macs running OS X 10.6.8 (Snow Leopard) are unable to install the course. If you have this problem, consider updating to Mavericks (free upgrade). Note: upgrading to Mavericks may affect other applications already installed on your computer so please consider carefully whether you want to do this.
PC Windows Vista Service Pack 2 1 GHz (x86) processor 512 MB RAM Sound card. Windows XP and earlier operating systems are not compatible with this course.
Quicktime (for viewing videos) available here.
Netbooks are not supported due to the reduced screen resolution.
iPad/iPad Mini using iOS 6 or above.
Older generation iPads may have performance issues. We strongly recommend installing the SRC Taster Course before buying the full course to check that it will work on your device.
Touch screen devices are not supported, you will need to use a plug in mouse to utilise all functions.