About This Course
RYA International Certificate of Competence Assessment
About the International Certificate of Competence (ICC):
The International Certificate of Competence (ICC) is a test of competence that provides the student with an internationally recognised qualification.
The ICC, or higher certification, is required in many European countries, and other locations internationally. Port Captains will often expect skippers to hold a recognised certificate to confirm that they have reached an internationally agreed level of competence.
Anyone with previous skippering experience can be assessed for ICC in a one day assessment. A successful candidate will be issued an ICC as evidence and providing assurance from one government to another that the holder meets an agreed level of competence.
Applicants for the UK ICC which is issued by the RYA, must be eligible and must demonstrate the necessary knowledge and skills. The level of competence expected is equivilent to the level required to pass a Day Skipper course.
The certificate is available to anyone who is able to fulfil the following eligibility criteria:
- has reached the age of 16;
- is physically and mentally fit to skipper an approriate vessel and can demonstrate adequate vision and hearing;
- holds a Day Skipper or Coastal Skipper certificate or has successfully passed an assessment to prove the necessary competence and
- who is able to demonstrate proof of nationality or residency to showthey are not precluded from being issued with an ICC by the RYA.
Understanding the International Certificate of Competence
The ICC Assessment – what you need to know:
It is important to note that this ICC Assessment is not a substitute for taking the Day Skipper theory and practical courses. It is not a course and you will be assessed on your knowledge, understanding and sailing skills. Should you not be successful in satisfying the assessor that you have reached the standard required to be issued an ICC, your assessor will not be able to sign your ICC application form.
If you are in any doubt at you should consider taking the Day Skipper theory and practical courses instead.
Pre Requisites for the International Certificate of Competence assessment (ICC):
- Minimum age 16 although we don’t take unaccompanied under 18s
- Navigation and practical sailing ability at Day Skipper level
- This assessment is not a substitute for the RYA Day Skipper theory and practical courses
What is included:
- Services of experienced RYA Instructor
- Use of a training yacht
- Use of foul weather gear
- Use of a life jacket and all safety equipment
- Modern marina facilities at base within easy walking distance of public transport
What is not Included:
- Secure parking at Gosport Marina (capped at £10.00 for duration of course)
What to expect:
- This is a private assessment, you will need to provide crew unless you arrange crew through us
After the assessment your assessor will sign your ICC application form ready for you to complete your application to the RYA.
Our team of RYA experienced RYA instructors will ensure you sail in a safe environment. Their aim is also to ensure your time on the water is as enjoyable as possible.
|Duration||1 day||Maximum students : instructor||1:1|
|Location||Solent||Minimum age||Over 16 (under 18s must be accompanied by an adult)|
|What’s included||Use of one of our Bavaria yachts. Tea and coffee. Free hire of wet weather gear (adult sizes only).||Extras||Meals|
|When||Contact us to arrange a date||Don’t forget||Bring your log book or purchase one from us at £6.99|
|Let us know about||Any special needs||Cost||£499|
Be the first to send feedback about an ICC Assessment