About This Course
This one day RYA Diesel Engine course is suitable for anyone who wishes to maintain a marine diesel engine and solve engine failure.
Mechanical failure is the main cause of rescue call-outs to cruisers. The RYA Diesel Engine course will teach basic maintenance and engine care and will help ensure that you are not part of this statistic. Most engine problems can be avoided by taking simple precautions, you don’t need a detailed mechanical knowledge. During this course we will teach you how your engine works, how to keep it healthy by using basic checks and maintenance procedures and how to get it started again in the event of a breakdown. We will look at engine parts in our classroom as well as the real thing on one of the yachts.
Whether you sail a yacht with an auxiliary diesel engine or are a motor cruising enthusiast, the RYA Diesel Engine course could not just save you money but one day could save your life!
This is a one day course and is held at Gosport Marina.
Pre Requisites for the Diesel Engine Course:
- No minimum age although we don’t take unaccompanied under 18s
- No previous experience necessary,
- This course is suitable for absolute beginners although if you have some experience of engines you will still find it a useful course.
What is included:
- Services of experienced RYA Diesel Engine Maintenance Instructor
- Tea, coffee and light refreshments during the day
- RYA Diesel Engine Course Notes and Certificate
- Modern marina facilities at base within easy walking distance of public transport
What is not Included:
- Lunch – there are various places to eat within walking distance of the marina or you may bring a packed lunch.
- Secure parking at Gosport Marina
What to expect:
- Small classes of up to 6 students
- The opportunity to see a static classroom engine and engine parts as well as working engines on boats
One Day Diesel Engine Maintenance Course
|Duration||1 day||Maximum students : instructor||6:1|
|Location||Solent||Minimum age||All ages |
Under 18s must be accompanied by an adult
|What’s included||Tea, coffee and biscuits|
RYA Course Notes and Certificate
|Extras||Lunch can be purchased locally or you can bring your own |
RYA Diesel Engine Handbook + DVD £17.99
|When||All Year 0900hrs – 17.00hrs||Accommodation||Non residential although we may be able to provide accommodation on one of our yachts for £10.00 per night.|
|Let us know about||Any special requirements and needs||Cost||£110.00|
Course topics include:
- the principles of diesel engine operation
- the systems and parts of the engine
- fault finding
- rectification of common problems
- bleeding the fuel system
- changing the impeller
- routine maintenance
- winter lay up procedures
I had a great time on the course today – very hands on and supported by a very knowledgeable instructor – even got my hands dirty – thanks very much !!!
Andrew – Diesel Course, February 2017
An excellent enjoyable course, subject well put over by a very knowledgable instructor. All in all a very worth while day.
Geoff – Diesel Course, June 2014
Excellent instructor, good stock of engine parts.
David – Diesel Course, January 2013
Very good instruction which increased my knowledge of diesel engines and confidence in dealing with any problems.
Andrew – Diesel Course, January 2013