About This Course
RYA Day Skipper Course held over 2 or 3 weekends
During the RYA Day Skipper practical course you will be taught basic pilotage, boat handling, seamanship and navigation all in the sheltered waters of The Solent. After the RYA Day Skipper practical course you will have gained background knowledge and practical sailing experience to skipper a small yacht in familiar waters by day. You will be continually assessed and awarded a certificate for passing all aspects of the course. You can find more information about the RYA Day Skipper practical course by going to our Practical Course information page.
You can choose any 3 Day Skipper Weekends from our program to complete your course or a 2 day and 3 day weekend. You will be awarded a Day Skipper certificate for successfully completing this course.
Pre Requisites for Day Skipper:
- Minimum Age 16
- Competent Crew or
- 5 days on board
- 100 miles logged
- 4 night hours
- Day Skipper Theory or knowledge to that level – you could pass a Day Skipper theory exam
What is included:
- Services of experienced RYA Instructor
- Accommodation on board your yacht
- Breakfast and lunch with evening meal if night sailing
- Berthing Fees
- Use of foul weather gear
- Use of a life jacket and all safety equipment
- RYA Day Skipper Sail Photo Certificate (Bring a passport sized photo)
- Modern marina facilities at base within easy walking distance of public transport
What is not Included:
- One evening meal (eaten ashore)
- Secure parking at Gosport Marina (capped at £10.00 for duration of course)
What to expect:
- Up to 5 students on board
- There may be a mix of students including Start Yachting, Competent Crew and people sailing as a refresher.
- You may share a cabin or saloon although we try to match boat layout to mix of students.
- There is a sole occupancy option for anyone who would prefer the privacy of their own cabin
- The best plans are drawn in the sand at low tide – be prepared for your instructor to make changes based on wind, tide and anything else that can effect the course
Upgrade to our Platinum service:
(5 day option only)
All the same benefits of our regular RYA Day Skipper course with the advantage of the following:
- 3 cabin newer yacht or 4 cabin yacht
- Course size limited to 3 students on board
- You will have your own cabin
- Wider choice of food available
After this course we recommend you build up your experience either by taking one of our milebuilding cruises, chartering a yacht or sailing on your own or friends boats. The next stages in the RYA cruising scheme are Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster theory and the Coastal Skipper practical course.
Are you ready for Day Skipper?
The RYA recommend that you have 5 days on the water or 100 miles before taking the Day Skipper course.
Competent Crew is the ideal course to prepare you for Day Skipper.
You will need to have passed a Day Skipper Theory course or have theory knowledge to Day Skipper theory exam level. You can study theory on-line at home.
The Day Skipper theory course entails 40 hours of study – your instructor cannot pack this extra training into your 5 day practical Day Skipper course.
Don’t forget to allow time for a little pre course revision!
You can even combine Day Skipper theory and Day Skipper Practical in one 9 day course.
|Duration||2 days||Maximum students : instructor||5:1|
|Location||Solent||Minimum age||All ages although under 18s must be accompanied by an adult|
|What’s included||Accommodation on board one of our Bavaria yachts Breakfast, lunch, snacks and drinks on board. Berthing fees. Free hire of wet weather gear (adult sizes only).||Extras||Evening meal ashore on Friday if required and Saturday night. Log books if required £6.99|
|When||Saturday 9am to Sunday afternoon 1600hrs. Meet and greet Friday evening 1900hrs All year round||Don’t forget||Anything you cannot travel without as we cannot cater for everyone’s special favourites!|
|Let us know about||Any special dietary requirements and needs.|
Please note, we will do our best to cater for vegetarian diets or food allergies but not general food fads! Please call the office if in doubt.
|Cost||2 day weekend £210.00 - £240.00 3 day weekend £360.00|
The Day Skipper course teaches pilotage, navigation, seamanship and boat handling up to the required standard to skipper a small cruising yacht safely by day in tidal waters with which the student is familiar.
- 1. Preparation for sea
- Is able to prepare a yacht for sea, including engine checks, selection of sails, securing and stowage of all gear on deck and below
- 2. Deck Work
- Can reef, shake out reefs and change sails to suit prevailing conditions
- Can prepare an anchor, mooring warps and take charge on deck when mooring alongside, coming to a buoy, anchoring, weighing anchor and slipping from a buoy or alongside berth
- 3. Navigation
Is proficient in chartwork and routine navigational duties on passage including:
- Taking and plotting visual fixes
- Use of electronic navigation equipment for position fixing
- Use of waypoints
- Working up to DR and EP
- Estimating tidal heights and tidal streams
- Working out course to steer to allow for tidal stream, leeway and drift
- Knowledge of IALA buoyage
- Maintenance of navigational records
- Use of echo sounder and lead line
- 4. Pilotage
- Can prepare and execute a pilotage plan for entry into, or departure from, harbour
- Understands the use of leading and clearing lines
- Use of transits and surroundings as aids to pilotage
- 5. Meteorology
- Knows sources of forecast information
- Can interpret shipping forecasts and use a barometer as a forecasting aid
- 6. Rule of the road
- Has a working knowledge of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea
- 7. Maintenance and repair work
- Understands and is able to carry out maintenance tasks
- Knows the properties and uses of common synthetic fibre ropes
- 8. Engines
- Knows how to change fuel and water filters, pump impeller and to bleed the fuel system
- 9. Victualling
- Understands how to victual a yacht
- 10. Emergency situations
- Is able to take correct action as skipper for recovery of man overboard
- Understands distress flares and how to use a liferaft
- Can operate a radiotelephone in an emergency and send a distress message
- Understands how to secure a tow
- Understands rescue procedures including helicopter rescue
- 11. Yacht handling under power
- Can bring a boat safely to and from an alongside berth, mooring buoy and anchor under various conditions of wind and tide
- Can steer and trim sails effectively on all points of sailing
- 12. Passage making
- Can plan and make a coastal passage, taking account of relevant navigational hazards and limitations imposed by the type of boat and the strength of the crew
- 13. Night cruising
- Has experienced sail cruising at night, including leaving and entering harbour. Understands the special consideration for pilotage plans, keeping a lookout and identifying marks by night.
- 14. Seasickness
- Working efficiency is unaffected/partially affected/severely affected by seasickness
- 15. Helmsmanship and sailing
- Understands the basic principles of sailing and can steer and trim sails on all points of sailing
- Can steer a compass course, under sail and power
- 16. General duties
- Has carried out general duties satisfactorily on deck and below decks in connection with the daily routine of the vessel
FEEDBACK – Day Skipper Student Reviews
Simon was a brilliant instructor, always calm and explained everything really well. The boat had a really supportive atmosphere. I loved it!
Lindsey – Day Skipper, May 2017
Exciting weather, good opportunity to practice skills. Excellent instruction. Enjoyed looking at boat in detail, e.g. engine.
Ann – Day Skipper refresher, February 2017
Great. Boat was in good condition and instructor was great. Looking forward to round two!
Dan – Day Skipper, May 2016
Superb instructor – very well run organisation
David – Day Skipper, April 2016
Whilst over two different weekends, the Instructors took this on board and both weekends were very fulfilling covering various aspects of the course. I enjoyed the mixed ability crew…rather than just all Day Skipper students. Both Instructors were very good and made it an enjoyable time on the water.
Alex –.Day Skipper, June 2015
We had a fabulous weekend. Our skipper was amazing. Loved every minute of it. My daughter and I are different abilities and were appropriately instructed. Weather was perfect!!
Tony – Day Skipper / Competent Crew, May 2015
A very professionally run company and the boats are in a great condition. Neil was very knowledgable and made the course enjoyable. Thanks for a great weeks sailing.
Ashley – Day Skipper, March 2013
We want you to pass!
What if I don't pass?
We will offer you a further weekend FREE!
In the unlikely event of you not passing by the end of the course we promise to provide extra training FREE to help you complete your Day Skipper¹. Whilst we cannot guarantee that you will pass we would like to assist as much as we can. (see below for conditions)
¹ Our ‘Free Weekend Offer’ is subject to the following conditions:
- Students must have theory knowledge to Day Skipper level.
- RYA Day Skipper theory course must have been passed within 12 months of the Day Skipper practical course OR the student may be asked to sit an Day Skipper theory exam paper in our classroom.
- Students must have passed the RYA Competent Crew course.
- Extra training will be offered subject to the recommendation of one of our experienced RYA instructors up to a maximum of 2 days.
- This offer excludes any expenses incurred by the student in attending the extra training.
- Our instructor will offer instruction to Day Skipper level however we are unable to guarantee a pass.
- Any training offered will be subject to availability.
The Small Print
* Evening meals taken ashore on weekend courses except in the case of a night sail.
** We will provide breakfast and lunch with some cakes and biscuits for coffee / tea breaks. We are unable to provide an endless supply of food / fruit / snacks including crisps and chocolate. Should you like to snack throughout the day or have particular food favourites we respectfully request that you purchase these yourself.