About This Course
RYA Day Skipper Theory Course
The RYA Day Skipper Theory course is a comprehensive introduction to navigation. This course will provide you with enough knowledge to navigate in familiar waters by day and undertake the Day Skipper practical course. A basic knowledge of lights is included to introduce you to night cruising. Each student is able to work at their own pace, ask questions and gain the greatest possible benefit from taking this theory course.
Special Offer – Winter Theory Courses
FREE accommodation on board a yacht for Theory courses November – February.
Go sailing for less!
Standby places – save 20% on course prices!
We will offer you a place shortly before the course start date.
This classroom based course takes place over five days.
Some practical sailing experience is desirable before taking this course, we recommend that you take the RYA Competent Crew course to prepare you for the RYA Day Skipper Theory Course. There are 2 exam papers at the end of the course and a certificate will be awarded for passing.
This course is non residential although we may be able to arrange accommodation on board a boat for a small charge.
Contact us if you would like us to run a Day Skipper Theory course in your club or office.
40 hour course
Are you ready for Day Skipper?
Pre Requisites for Day Skipper Theory:
- No Minimum Age
- Competent Crew desirable but not essential
What is included:
- Services of experienced RYA Instructor
- Course pack and Training Almanac
- Tea, coffee and biscuits throughout the day
- Modern marina facilities at base within easy walking distance of public transport
What is not Included:
- Breton Plotter and Divider set – available for purchase if required
- 2B pencil, eraser, notepad etc
- Accommodation on board a yacht if required – £20 per night
- Secure parking at Gosport Marina (capped at £15.00 for duration of course)
What to expect:
- Taught in small class of up to 10 students
- Classes start at 9 am and usually finish around 5.30 pm. You may be set homework and you may study for longer some days if necessary
After this course we recommend you take the RYA Day Skipper practical course.
|Duration||5 days||Maximum students : instructor||10:1|
|Location||Gosport||Minimum age||All ages|
|What’s included||All course materials.|
Tea, coffee and biscuits.
|Extras||Plotters and dividers available to purchase. Bring notepads + 2b pencils. Lunch can be purchased locally or you can bring your own.|
|When||5 days or weekends, all year 0900hrs – 17.00hrs||Accommodation||Non residential.|
|Let us know about||Any special requirements and needs||Cost||£360.00|
Course topics include:
- the basics of seamanship
- the essentials of coastal navigation and pilotage
- electronic charts
- position fixing
- plotting a course to steer
- weather forecasting and meteorology
- collision regulations
- construction, parts and equipment of a cruising boat
- emergency and safety procedures including distress calls,use of flares, safety harnesses, lifejackets and liferafts
FEEDBACK – Day Skipper Theory Course – Student Reviews
Extremely enjoyable course, the instructor was very patient which helped tremendously!
Mary – Day Skipper Theory Course