About This Course
No cabin sharing and only 3 students on a course
5 day RYA Day Skipper Practical Platinum Course
During the RYA Day Skipper practical platinum course you will be taught basic pilotage, boat handling, seamanship and navigation all in the sheltered waters of The Solent. After the RYA Day Skipper practical course you will have gained background knowledge and practical sailing experience to skipper a small yacht in familiar waters by day. You will be continually assessed and awarded a certificate for passing all aspects of the course. You can find more information about the RYA Day Skipper practical course by going to our Practical Course information page.
|Duration||5 days||Maximum students : instructor||3:1|
|Location||Solent||Minimum age||16 although under 18s must be accompanied by an adult|
|What’s included||Accommodation on board one of our Bavaria yachts Breakfast, lunch, evening meals* and drinks on board, berthing fees. Free hire of wet weather gear||Extras||One evening meal ashore during the course and on joining night if required. Log books if required £6.49|
|When||Friday evening 1900hrs to Wednesday afternoon 1600hrs, Sunday evening 1900hrs to Friday afternoon 1600hrs. Also over 3 weekends. All year round||Don’t forget||Anything you cannot travel without as we cannot cater for everyone’s special favourites!|
|Let us know about||Any special dietary requirements and needs.|
Please note, we will do our best to cater for vegetarian diets or food allergies but not general food fads! Please call the office if in doubt.
RYA Day Skipper Practical Syllabus
|The Day Skipper course teaches pilotage, navigation, seamanship and boat handling up to the required standard to skipper a small cruising yacht safely by day in tidal waters with which the student is familiar.
FEEDBACK – Day Skipper Student Reviews – Platinum Course
John was superb. Very calm, made us think for ourselves an excellent preparation for taking the responsibility of skipper on our own. Thank you very much.
Jonathan – May 2016
Pre Requisites for Day Skipper:
- Minimum Age 16
- Competent Crew or
- 5 days on board
- 100 miles logged
- 4 night hours
- Day Skipper Theory or knowledge to that level
What is included:
- Services of experienced RYA Instructor
- Accommodation on board your yacht
- Meals eaten on board (excluding joining night) **
- Berthing Fees
- Use of foul weather gear
- Use of a life jacket and all safety equipment
- RYA Day Skipper Sail Photo Certificate (Bring a passport sized photo)
- Modern marina facilities at base within easy walking distance of public transport
What is not Included:
- One evening meal (eaten ashore)
- Secure parking at Gosport Marina (capped at £10.00 for duration of course)
What to expect:
- Up to 3 students on board
- There may be a mix of Day Skipper and Competent Crew students
- You may share a cabin or saloon although we try to match boat layout to mix of students.
- There is a sole occupancy option for anyone who would prefer the privacy of their own cabin
- The best plans are drawn in the sand at low tide – be prepared for your instructor to make changes based on wind, tide and anything else that can effect the course
After this course we recommend you build up your experience either by taking one of our milebuilding cruises, chartering a yacht or sailing on your own or friend’s boats. The next stages in the RYA cruising scheme are Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster theory and the Coastal Skipper practical course.
The RYA recommended that you take the following courses before taking the RYA Day Skipper Practical course:
We offer the RYA Day Skipper theory as an on-line course delivered by Navathome.com. Navathome are an RYA recognised training centre specialising in online training.
If you prefer a classroom based course then you might like to consider the 9 day Combined Day Skipper Theory and Practical Course.
One of our students recorded life on board during a RYA course – check out the film at the bottom of the page!
If you have questions about the RYA Day Skipper practical course do contact us. Click here to find our most frequently asked questions.
You can take the RYA Day Skipper course as a 5 day course or over 3 weekends. We also offer a 2 and 3 day weekend option to make up the 5 days.
You can choose any 3 weekends from our programme to complete your RYA course over weekends. Alternatively you can choose a 3 day weekend and any other weekend in the to complete your course.
Pass the RYA Day Skipper practical course and you can apply for an ICC!
Day Skipper ‘training promise’ –
In the unlikely event of you not passing by the end of the course we promise to provide extra training FREE to help you complete your Day Skipper¹. Whilst we cannot guarantee that you will pass we would like to assist as much as we can. (see below for conditions)
¹ Our ‘training promise’ is subject to the following conditions:
- Students must have theory knowledge to Day Skipper level – you could pass a Day Skipper theory exam
- RYA Day Skipper theory course must have been passed within 12 months of the Day Skipper practical course OR the student may be asked to sit an Day Skipper theory exam paper in our classroom.
- Students must have passed the RYA Competent Crew course.
- Extra training will be offered subject to the recommendation of one of our experienced RYA instructors up to a maximum of 2 days.
- This offer excludes any expenses incurred by the student in attending the extra training.
- Our instructor will offer instruction to Day Skipper level however we are unable to guarantee a pass.
- Any training offered will be subject to availability.
* Evening meals taken ashore on weekend corses.
** We will provide breakfast, lunch and three evening meals with some cakes and biscuits for coffee / tea breaks. We are unable to provide an endless supply of food / fruit / snacks including crisps and chocolate. Should you like to snack throughout the day or have particular food favourites we respectfully request that you purchase these yourself.