About This Course
The 5 day RYA Coastal Skipper Platinum Course is a stepping stone between Day Skipper and Yachtmaster Coastal
The RYA Coastal Skipper Platinum Course aims to teach the skills and techniques required to skipper a cruising yacht safely on coastal passages by day and night.
You will need to have have completed the Yachtmaster Theory course or have knowledge of navigation theory to this level before taking the RYA Coastal Skipper Course. There wil be insufficient time to teach you theory during the week. It is also preferable that you have completed the RYA Day Skipper practical Course. You can take the RYA Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster theory as an On-line Theory course.
The RYA Coastal Skipper Platinum Course must be taken over 5 consecutive days.
RYA Coastal Skipper students should be able to undertake more difficult passages and handle the yacht in more demanding conditions. During the Day Skipper course, you will have undertaken several, short skippered passages. This experience is built upon during the Coastal Skipper course. The RYA Coastal Skipper Course consists of longer, more challenging skippered passages providing a variety of different situations. Passages will be undertaken by day and by night. Passage planning, pilotage, boat handling, safety and emergency situations are all taught in greater detail than at Day Skipper level. At the end of the course, if you are succesful you will be awarded the Coastal Skipper course completion certificate. You can find the full RYA Coastal Skipper syllabus below.
|Duration||5 days ||Maximum students : instructor||3:1|
|Location||Solent||Minimum age||17 although under 18s must be accompanied by an adult.|
|What’s included||Accommodation on board one of our Bavaria yachts, breakfast, lunch, evening meals and drinks on board, berthing fees. Free hire of wet weather gear||Extras||One evening meal ashore during the course and on joining night if required. Log books if required £6.49|
|When||Friday evening 1900hrs to Wednesday afternoon 1600hrs, Sunday evening 1900hrs to Friday afternoon 1600hrs. All year round||Don’t forget||Anything you cannot travel without as we cannot cater for everyone’s special favourites!
Bring passport sized photograph for your certificate.
|Let us know about||Any special dietary requirements and needs||Cost||£895.00|
RYA Coastal Skipper Syllabus
The aim of this course is to teach the skills and techniques required to skipper a cruising yacht safely on coastal passages by day and night.
- 1. Passage planning
- Can plan a coastal passage including a consideration of the capability of the yacht, navigation, victualling, weather, ports of refuge, tidal heights, and tidal streams, publications required and strategy
- Know Customs procedures
- 2. Preparation for sea
- Is aware of safety equipment required for offshore passages
- Can prepare a yacht for sea including stowage, safety briefing, watch keeping, delegating responsibilities and equipment and engine checks
- 3. Pilotage
- Can prepare a pilotage plan, with consideration of surroundings, transits, clearing bearings, buoyage, port or harbour regulations and tidal considerationsb. Can pilot a yacht by day and night
- 4. Passage making and ability as skipper
- Can take charge of a yacht and direct the crew
- Can organise the navigation, deckwork, and domestic duties of a yacht on passage
- Is aware of the significance of meteorological trends
- Is aware of crew welfare on passage
- Can use electronic navigational equipment for planning and undertaking a passage, including the use of waypoints and routes
- 5. Yacht handling under power
- Can control the yacht effectively in a confined space under power
- All berthing and unberthing situations in various conditions of wind and tide
- 6. Yacht handling under sail
- Can use the sails to control the yacht in a confined space
- Anchoring and mooring in various conditions of wind and tide
- Can sail efficiently on all points of sailing
- 7. Adverse weather conditions
- Preparation for heavy weather and yacht handling in strong winds
- Navigation and general conduct in restricted visibility
- 8. Emergency situations
- Recovery of man overboard under power and sail
- Understands action to be taken when abandoning to the liferaft and during helicopter and lifeboat rescues
FEEDBACK – Coastal Skipper Student Reviews
A very enjoyable course. Alex was very helpful over the phone when booking, and Martin was a very friendly, very knowledgeable instructor who made the whole thing a lot of fun. Being able to hire wet weather gear for no extra cost is also a big bonus which some other schools do not offer. Overall very pleased and would recommend highly 🙂
Laurel – Coastal Skipper, March 2015
Such a good week – helped very much to boost my confidence. Skipper exceptionally diligent in his teaching, taking time, giving good feedback and an all round great communicator.
Betty – Coastal Skipper, June 2012
A great pleasure to spend 5 days aboard. Learnt a great deal on handling under sail and about sailing of course!
Clive – Coastal Skipper, October 2011
What is included:
- Instruction by senior RYA Instructor
- Accommodation on board your yacht
- Meals eaten on board (excluding joining night) *
- Berthing Fees
- Use of foul weather gear
- Use of a life jacket and all safety equipment
- RYA Coastal Skipper Sail Photo Certificate
- Modern marina facilities at base within easy walking distance of public transport
What is not Included:
- One evening meal (eaten ashore)
- Secure parking at Gosport Marina (capped at £10.00 for duration of course)
What to expect:
- Up to 3 students on board
- There may be a mix of students including Competent Crew and Coastal Skipper
- You will have your own cabin or saloon berth.
- The best plans are drawn in the sand at low tide – be prepared for your instructor to make changes based on wind, tide and anything else that can effect the course.
Suggested minimum pre-course experience for Coastal Skipper:
- 15 days on board
- 2 days as skipper
- 300 miles
- 8 night hours
- Boat handling to the standard of the Day Skipper Practical Course
- Yachtmaster Theory Certificate or navigation to the standard of the RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased course
- We recommend that you hold a RYA VHF Licence
By the end of the RYA Coastal Skipper Platinum Course you should have the knowledge, if not the experience, to become a Yachtmaster Offshore. We recommend Milbuilding Trips and Cruises, chartering and crewing to build miles and experience. If you wish to take the RYA / MCA examination leading to the Yachtmaster Coastal qualification you should enroll on the Yachtmaster Coastal preparation course.
Students will be required to provide a passport size photograph when attending the Coastal Skipper course.
*We will provide breakfast, lunch and three evening meals with some cakes and biscuits for coffee / tea breaks. We are unable to provide an endless supply of food / fruit / snacks including crisps and chocolate. Should you like to snack throughout the day or have particular food favourites we respectfully request that you purchase these yourself.