About This Course
5 Day RYA Coastal Skipper Course (no exam)
The RYA Coastal Skipper Course (no exam) is a stepping stone between Day Skipper and Yachtmaster Coastal
The RYA Coastal Skipper course aims to teach the skills and techniques required to skipper a cruising yacht safely on coastal passages by day and night.
You will need to have have completed the Yachtmaster Theory course or have knowledge of navigation theory to this level before taking the RYA Coastal Skipper Course as there is insufficient time to teach you theory during the week. It is also preferable that you have completed the RYA Day Skipper practical Course.
During the course you will undertake a longer, more challenging passage. The strong tidal conditions of the Solent make this the ideal place to take the Coastal Skipper course. You will learn more about advanced passage planning, pilotage by day and by night, boat handling and emergency procedures.
Check the dates above to find our Special Offers.
Pre Requisites for Coastal Skipper:
- 15 days on board
- 2 days as skipper
- 300 miles
- 8 night hours
- Boat handling to the standard of the Day Skipper Practical Course
- Yachtmaster Theory Certificate or navigation to the standard of the RYA Yachtmaster Shorebased course
- We recommend that you hold a RYA VHF Licence
What is included:
- Services of experienced RYA Instructor
- Accommodation on board your yacht
- Breakfast, lunches and two evening meals
- Berthing Fees
- Use of foul weather gear
- Use of a life jacket and all safety equipment
- RYA Coastal Skipper Certificate
- Modern marina facilities at base within easy walking distance of public transport
What is not Included:
- Evening meals eaten ashore
- Secure parking at Gosport Marina (capped at £10.00 for duration of course)
What to expect:
- Up to 5 students on board
- There may be a mix of students including Competent Crew and Coastal Skipper
- You may share a cabin or saloon although we try to match boat layout to mix of students.
- There is a sole occupancy option for anyone who would prefer the privacy of their own cabin
- The best plans are drawn in the sand at low tide – be prepared for your instructor to make changes based on wind, tide and anything else that can effect the course.
You must take the RYA Coastal Skipper course as a 5 day course.
Our team of RYA experienced RYA instructors will ensure you learn in a safe environment. Their aim is also to ensure your time on the water is as enjoyable as possible.
If you are interested to see life on board during a RYA course check out the film clip at the bottom of the page!
Upgrade to our Platinum service:
All the same benefits of our regular RYA Coastal Skipper course with the advantage of the following:
- 3 cabin yacht 5 years old or less or 4 cabin yacht
- Course size limited to 3 students on board
- You will have your own cabin
- Wider choice of food available
After the course you may wish to further your training and maybe take an MCA exam. The next steps are to gain more experience through skippering or crewing, joining a milebuilding weekend or cruise or chartering. You may then consider taking the Yachtmaster Coastal Prep course and exam.
Are you ready for Coastal Skipper?
The RYA Coastal Skipper course is ideal for moving on from Day Skipper. During the course you will undertake a longer passage and be expected to put your Coastal Skipper / Yachtmater Theory course into practice.
Taking a yacht out for the first time on your own is a big step!
|Duration||5 days ||Maximum students : instructor||5:1|
|Location||Solent||Minimum age||17 although under 18s must be accompanied by an adult.|
|What’s included||Accommodation on board one of our Bavaria yachts. breakfast, lunch, two evening meals and drinks on board, berthing fees. Free hire of wet weather gear||Extras||Evening meals ashore during the course and on joining night if required. Log books if required £6.99|
|When||Friday evening 1900hrs to Wednesday afternoon 1600hrs, Sunday evening 1900hrs to Friday afternoon 1600hrs. All year round||Don’t forget||Anything you cannot travel without as we cannot cater for everyone’s special favourites!
Bring passport sized photograph for your certificate.
|Let us know about||Any special dietary requirements and needs||Cost||£410.00 - £575.00|
RYA Coastal Skipper Syllabus
The aim of this course is to teach the skills and techniques required to skipper a cruising yacht safely on coastal passages by day and night.
- 1. Passage planning
- Can plan a coastal passage including a consideration of the capability of the yacht, navigation, victualling, weather, ports of refuge, tidal heights, and tidal streams, publications required and strategy
- Know Customs procedures
- 2. Preparation for sea
- Is aware of safety equipment required for offshore passages
- Can prepare a yacht for sea including stowage, safety briefing, watch keeping, delegating responsibilities and equipment and engine checks
- 3. Pilotage
- Can prepare a pilotage plan, with consideration of surroundings, transits, clearing bearings, buoyage, port or harbour regulations and tidal considerationsb. Can pilot a yacht by day and night
- 4. Passage making and ability as skipper
- Can take charge of a yacht and direct the crew
- Can organise the navigation, deckwork, and domestic duties of a yacht on passage
- Is aware of the significance of meteorological trends
- Is aware of crew welfare on passage
- Can use electronic navigational equipment for planning and undertaking a passage, including the use of waypoints and routes
- 5. Yacht handling under power
- Can control the yacht effectively in a confined space under power
- All berthing and unberthing situations in various conditions of wind and tide
- 6. Yacht handling under sail
- Can use the sails to control the yacht in a confined space
- Anchoring and mooring in various conditions of wind and tide
- Can sail efficiently on all points of sailing
- 7. Adverse weather conditions
- Preparation for heavy weather and yacht handling in strong winds
- Navigation and general conduct in restricted visibility
- 8. Emergency situations
- Recovery of man overboard under power and sail
- Understands action to be taken when abandoning to the liferaft and during helicopter and lifeboat rescues
Great instructor – demanding, critical. The tours were well thought out and the tasks – and the prep – really helped to consolidate experience into knowledge.
Hans – Coastal Skipper, August 2017
A very enjoyable course. Alex was very helpful over the phone when booking, and Martin was a very friendly, very knowledgeable instructor who made the whole thing a lot of fun. Being able to hire wet weather gear for no extra cost is also a big bonus which some other schools do not offer. Overall very pleased and would recommend highly 🙂
Laurel – Coastal Skipper, March 2015
Such a good week – helped very much to boost my confidence. Skipper exceptionally diligent in his teaching, taking time, giving good feedback and an all round great communicator.
Betty – Coastal Skipper, June 2012
A great pleasure to spend 5 days aboard. Learnt a great deal on handling under sail and about sailing of course!
Clive – Coastal Skipper, October 2011
The Small Print
We will provide breakfast, lunch and two evening meals with some cakes and biscuits for coffee / tea breaks. We are unable to provide an endless supply of food / fruit / snacks including crisps and chocolate. Should you like to snack throughout the day or have particular food favourites we respectfully request that you purchase these yourself.