About This Course
Experience the start of the 2019 Fastnet race with Commodore Yachting on an unforgettable Solent Sailing Weekend.
Friday 2nd August (1400 hrs) – Saturday 3th August
You will board your yacht in Gosport on Friday afternoon before sailing across the Solent to sail to Cowes. On Friday night we plan to berth in Cowes or the Medina River to really be part of the pre race party, dining out with the Fastnet crews in Cowes.
On Saturday morning you will motor to the start line of the biannual Fastnet Race just off the Royal Yacht Squadron in Cowes. This is the perfect place to watch yachts of all sizes set off on this 608 mile race around the Fastnet Rock and back to Plymouth. With as many as 380 yachts taking part from over 22 different countries this will be an amazing spectacle to be part of. You will see vessels taking part in all classes from modest cruising yachts to 100 ft world ocean racing yachts. All the big names will be there and you can expect to see the fleet of famous racing yachts.
When the last boats have crossed the start line and disappeared into the distance we will make our way back to Gosport.
You will sleep on board the yacht on Friday night in Cowes or the Medina River. Breakfasts and lunches will be provided on board.
Meet people and get out on the water with a Solent Weekend. Sailing is not all about RYA training courses, sometimes it is good to go sailing just for fun! A Solent Weekend is a popular way to brush up on your skills, build experience and gain sea miles. It provides an ideal opportunity to get out on the water with like minded people. Even if you have never been on a yacht before you can come along!
Under the watchful eye of an experienced RYA Instructor, you will get a chance to steer, handle sails and be part of the crew, all in the sheltered waters of The Solent.
Our experienced RYA instructors are used to having beginners on board and whilst teaching you sailing skills and safety on board a sailing yacht, they place a big emphasis on having fun and enjoying all aspects of sailing including going ashore!
Pre Requisites for this Event Weekend:
- No minimum age although we don’t take unaccompanied under 18s
- No previous experience necessary
- This course is suitable for absolute beginners and experienced sailors alike
What is included:
- Services of experienced RYA Instructor /Yachtmaster Skipper
- Accommodation on board your yacht
- Breakfasts and lunches eaten on board
- Berthing Fees
- Use of a life jacket and all safety equipment
- Modern marina facilities at base within easy walking distance of public transport
What is not Included:
- One evening meal (eaten ashore)
- Water taxi to West Cowes if required
- Secure parking at Gosport Marina (capped at £15.00 for duration of event)
What to expect:
- Up to 10 on board
- You may share a cabin or saloon although we try to match boat layout to mix of crew.
- There is a sole occupancy option for anyone who would prefer the privacy of their own cabin
- The best plans are drawn in the sand at low tide – be prepared for your instructor / skipper to make changes based on wind, tide and anything else that can effect the course.
Our team of RYA experienced RYA instructors / skippers will ensure you enjoy your Event Weekend in a safe environment. Their aim is also to ensure your time on the water is as enjoyable as possible.
The Small Print
* Evening meals taken ashore on weekend courses / cruises except in the case of a night sail.
** We will provide breakfast, lunch with some cakes and biscuits for coffee / tea breaks. We are unable to provide an endless supply of food / fruit / snacks including crisps and chocolate. Should you like to snack throughout the day or have particular food favourites we respectfully request that you purchase these yourself.