About This Course
Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory Course Online
For some people attending a 6 day Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster theory course or an evening class over 26 + weeks is not an easy option. One alternative is to pass the Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory Course Online by taking this RYA on-line theory course from your computer at home. We have teamed up with NAVATHOME to offer easy to follow online theory courses with the added advantage that you can submit your answers on-line and find out if your answers are correct with instant feedback as you go.
We consider this to be the best RYA online theory course on the market. Full tutor support is included with an experienced RYA instructor provided by Commodore Yachting.
We are so confident that you will find this Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory Course Online, delivered by Navathome.com both clear and easy to follow that we offering you the chance to attend a FREE ‘Theory Clinic’ at Gosport Marina if required as many times as you like until you have completed the course.
You will need access to a computer but there is nothing to download, everything is accessible online. There are detailed explanations on each subject with interactive graphics which can be clicked through forwards and backwards. You can even try the course with a free trial.
Half price VHF Course with every Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Online Theory Course
To purchase your discounted VHF Radio Online Course, add the VHF course to your basket and use this code at the checkout:
Special Offer ends January 14th
Are you considering getting a Commercial Endorsement?
If you wish to apply for a Commercial Endorsement you will need your Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster theory exam has been invigilated. There is no charge if you are studying with Commodore Yachting.
There are three papers each taking one and a half hours to complete. The minimum time required for the assessment will be six hours to include breaks.
If you are studying through another company, there is a £150.00 charge for us to invigilate your exam.
Course fee: £310.00 which includes:
- Free UK delivery – small charge for overseas postage*
- 14 day opt out with full refund**
- Your unique user name and password to access the RYA on-line theory course and exam.
- Exam can be taken in the confort of your own home.***
- RYA Course materials including training charts, training almanac, course study book and RYA certificate when you pass.
- Your personal tutor who will provide on-line, skype and telephone support.
- Free Theory Clinic
- Option to retake the course until you pass!
- You have 6 months to finish the course and can extend this for a small admin fee if required. This is currently £30.
- NEW -Access to Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory revision for 2 years after you pass your course.
- Buy a second on-line theory course or introduce a friend and receive £30.00 refund of your course fee.
- Day Skipper Theory and Coastal / Yachtmaster Theory available for IPad and mobile devices.****
- Course delivered by Navathome.com, an RYA recognised training centre specialising in online training
The Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory is an advanced course in navigation and meteorology for candidates for the Coastal Skipper and Yachtmaster Coastal and Offshore Certificates. The syllabus will include revision of subjects in the Day Skipper course but cannot provide the knowledge taught in the Day Skipper theory course in the time available.
The Yachtmaster Theory Course is applicable both to sailing and to motor cruising
Subjects covered are:
- Dead reckoning and estimated position
- Satellite-derived position
- Use of waypoints to fix position
- Radar fixes
- Techniques of visual fixing
- Fixes using a mixture of position lines
- Relative accuracy of different methods of position fixing
- Area of uncertainty
- The magnetic compass
- Allowance for variation
- Change of variation with time and position
- Causes of deviation
- Swing for deviation (but not correction)
- Allowance for deviation
- Different types of compass
- Causes of tide – Springs and Neaps
- Tide tables – sources
- Tidal levels and datum
- Standard and secondary ports
- Tide anomalies (Solent, etc.)
- Tidal Streams
- Sources of tidal information
- Tidal stream information
- Course to steer allowing for tidal streams and leeway
- Tide rips, overfalls and races
- Tidal observation buoys, beacons etc.
- IALA system buoyage in Region A
- Limitations of buoys as navigational aids
- Ranges – visual, luminous and nominal
- Rising and dipping distances
- Light lists
- Harbour regulations and control signals
- Methods of pre-planning
- Clearing lines
- Use of soundings
- Transits and leading lines
- GPS and chart plotters
- Principles of operation and limitations of use
- Raster and vector charts
- Importance of confirmation of position by an independent source and keeping a separate record of position
- Importance of paper charts
- Echo sounders
- Principles of operation and limitations of use
- Logs (speed and distance measuring)
- Principles of operation limitations of use
- Ship’s log
- Importance of log
- Layout of log, hourly and occasional entries
- Basic terms, the Beaufort scale b. Air masses c. Cloud types d. Weather patterns associated with pressure and frontal systems e. Sources of weather forecasts f. Ability to interpret a shipping forecast, weatherfax and weather satellite information g. Land and sea breezes h. Sea fog i. Use of barometer as a forecasting aid
- Rules of the Road
- A sound knowledge of the International Regulations for Preventing Collisions at Sea, except Annexes 1 and 3
- Safety at Sea
- Personal safety, use of lifejackets, safety harnesses and lifelines
- Fire prevention and fire fighting
- Distress signals
- Coastguard and Boat Safety Scheme
- Preparation for heavy weather
- Liferafts and helicopter rescue
- Understanding of capabilities of vessel and basic knowledge of stability
- Navigation in restricted visibility
- Precautions to be taken in fog
- Limitations to safe navigation imposed by fog
- Navigation in poor visibility
- Passage planning
- Preparation of charts and notebook for route planning and making, and use at sea
- Customs regulations as they apply to yachts
- Routine for navigating in coastal waters
- Strategy for course laying
- Use of waypoints and routes
- Use of weather forecast information for passage planning strategy
- Sources of local and national regulations
The Day Skipper and Yachtmaster courses will work on PC, Mac and most mobile devices. Do try the FREE TRIAL before purchasing to be sure the course will work on your device or operating system.
The RYA have produced a Chart plotter simulator, you will receive an activation code with your course pack. Works on PC and MAC but not mobile devices.
Browser version Windows 7 and above.
- Thought it was a very good course – I think online works well for this and I have learnt a lot from it. It’s also jolted me to do a few things, like get a permanent radar reflector fitted and check fire extinguishers etc. so of practical value also. Peter – May 2016
- Impressive course for such a last minute booking. Most impressive was the fact that id had no experience before this and that was tailored into the course as much as possible. The online course is excellent, teaching you in some areas even deeper knowledge than is needed. Mark is an excellent and very patient instructor who took in to account all of the various students experiences and focused on each individual’s areas for improvement. Edward, October 2014 ( Also took practical Day Skipper course)
- Rapid and clear tutor feedback. Willing to respond to specific queries – unlike other similar tutors I have experienced
- Quick response to exercise submissions.
- Easy to follow. The animations were very helpful in building understanding.
- Almost instant e-mail feedback. Always available at the end of the phone if I rang to ask questions.
- The combination of online “own pace” learning combined with easy access to tutorial support when needed makes the course. ideal for anyone that cannot commit to regular college nights.
- very happy with the course and especially all those those at Commodore, Stuart and his team were very helpful and accommodating. I would definately recommend others to do this course. I have already put what I have learnt to practice – it works! Thanks
Why chose us?
Navathome is the leading provider of on-line navigation courses. As a school we add a personal touch to this outstanding theory course by ensuring that you have the very best opportunity to complete the course and pass the exam.
How do we do it?
We can arrange a telephone or Skype tutorial if more tuition is requested.
Students are welcome to atend a FREE theory clinic – as many times as they wish and at a time to suit their availability
There is the opportunity to join one of our regular classroom weekends if required
* We use Royal Mail standard service for overseas postage, please contact us it you would prefer express delivery.
** 14 day money back guarantee – Course materials must be unopened and unused. Postage is payable to return materials.
*** Exam must be invigilated if you plan you have your Yachtmaster qualification commercially endorsed.
**** The chartplotter software provided by the RYA will not work on mobile devices or operating systems earlier than windows 7.
The small print
We will arrange delivery of your course materials and obtain a signature. We cannot be held responsible for any losses once the package has been signed for.
Please test your device compatibility by using this free trial.
NEW – Access to Coastal Skipper / Yachtmaster Theory revision for 2 years after you pass your course.